Serving the Community
The purpose of the Tait Duke Community Cottage is to provide affordable meeting and activity space for a variety of community and non-profit organisations while serving as an information hub for local support services in Noosa and Tewantin area.
The Cottage has air conditioned meeting facilities for up to 30 attendees, a kitchen, office and reception area, plus bathroom and storage space. The Cottage is equipped with a television to display computer based presentations, photos, videos etc.. Wi-Fi is expected to be available in the future. Ramp access and toilet facilities allow for wheelchair access.
The Cottage is located in Earl Street, Tewantin and is managed by the Rotary Club of Noosa Heads under lease and with support from Noosa Council.
The Cottage History
The Tait-Duke Cottage was built at the corner of Poinciana Avenue and Sidoni Street, Tewantin, for Charles Tait and Emma Duke in 1919. It was Esme Tait’s home for close to 87 years. Esme Tait gifted the 98 year-old Queenslander to Noosa Council for the for the benefit of the Tewantin community.
The Cottage was relocated to its current location on Council land in Earl Street in 2015, and was then lovingly restored and transformed into a community meeting place. Council, State and Federal governments contributed funding for the renovation with a variety of community organisations and businesses contributing materials and expertise (Rotary Club of Noosa Heads, United Synergies, and Hutchinson Builders).
In June 2017 the Cottage was officially opened by Esme Tait, realising her wish of seeing her historic former home transformed for the benefit of the community.